As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All claims are strictly my personal opinion.
With ground-breaking technology and an excellent level of quality, iRobot’s Roomba line of robot vacuums has completely revolutionized the way we clean. iRobot has released quite a few models ever since they first came into the market and today we’re going to be taking a look at in-depth Roomba reviews – from their new cutting-edge models to the classic older series – showing you the models that are, in our opinion, the best ones of all time.
The name Roomba has become synonymous with robot vacuums and for a very good reason – they were not only pioneers but still remain to this day the leading manufacturer of the market, constantly impressing the world with ambitious innovation and unmatched quality. Without further ado, let’s take a look at our personal picks for the best Roomba robot vacuums that iRobot has ever made, in our view, and find the perfect one for you.
Roomba Robot Vacuum Comparison
Let’s take a look at this Roomba comparison, giving you a clear idea of how the top robot vacuums differ from one another and how they’ve improved over the years.
|Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba S9 (9150) Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 980 Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 960 Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 890 Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum||iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum|
|Suction Power||2500 Pa||2000 Pa||1700 Pa||1000 Pa||1000 Pa||600 Pa||600 Pa|
|Run Time||120 Minutes||120 Minutes||120 Minutes||75 minutes||60 Minutes||60 Minutes||60 Minutes|
|Navigation||iAdapt 3.0 + vSLAM||iAdapt 3.0 + vSLAM||iAdapt 2.0 + vSLAM||iAdapt 2.0 + vSLAM||iAdapt 2.0||iAdapt 2.0||iAdapt 2.0|
|Alexa & Google|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year||1 Year|
Best Roomba Robot Vacuums Reviews
Here you can read in-depth Roomba reviews of all the machines that we consider to be the best iRobot Roomba models – this will let you know exactly what each one has to offer and make it easy to find the right one for your home.
iRobot Roomba S9 (9150) Robot Vacuum- Wi-Fi Connected, Smart Mapping, Powerful Suction, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors, Corners
The newest, most cutting-edge addition to the Roomba family, the iRobot Roomba S9 is a powerhouse of a machine. From its new, extremely elegant design and top-notch craftsmanship to its beastly power and unbeatable cleaning performance, the S9 was made to be the best of the best and in our view it does so with success.
Featuring modern mapping coupled with the new and improved smart navigation system that the i7+ already had (iAdapt 3.0 with vSLAM technology), it flawlessly runs through your home and cleans everything, everywhere without ever getting stuck or confused. The larger wheels and self-detangling brushes make sure that no carpet or pet hair stands in its way, all the while a super powerful 2500 Pa vacuum coupled with a 3-stage cleaning system absolutely removes any dust, dirt and debris present on your floors. The HEPA filter also traps 99% of all dust and allergens, keeping your air crystal clear and breathable.
Controlling the robot is easier than ever with the phone app as well as with the voice controls – Alexa & Google Assistant – and when it comes to its maintenance the S9 takes care of itself. It self-recharges and resumes whenever needed and if you have the accompanying base it even automatically disposes of the dirt it accumulates. All the highly advanced features such as cleaning reports, virtual walls, scheduling (by time or by room) and multi-floor mapping are all included and better than ever.
Finally, the new straight-edge design allows it to not only perfectly clean corners but also gives it more space to hold a larger more potent battery, a larger dustbin and of course a more powerful vacuum cleaner.
It’s certainly expensive but there are very good reasons behind the price – it truly is the cream of the crop. If you want excellence and don’t have a budget to follow, then this is an excellent choice.
iRobot Roomba i7+ (7550) Robot Vacuum with Automatic Dirt Disposal – Wi-Fi Connected, Smart Mapping, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors
This is part of the new, premium Roomba robot vacuum series, with an equally premium price tag. Even though it’s up there, the features and unmatched construction quality as well as insanely powerful performance justify the price.
- Automatic dirt disposal system
- Delivers 10 times the suction power of the Roomba 600 series
- 3-Stage Cleaning System
- iAdapt 3.0 navigation system with vSLAM technology
- Imprint smart mapping system to learn the layout of the house
- It learns to differentiate between rooms, so you can ask it to clean specific rooms
- The dustbin capacity is one of the highest among robot vacuums
- The auto disposal system makes my life simpler
- The app can malfunction sometimes
- High price jump in comparison to the already excellent 980
iRobot Roomba 980 Robot Vacuum- Wi-Fi Connected Mapping, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors
This is part of the Roomba 900 series of robot vacuums and it’s a powerhouse of a machine – an excellent high-end model that further improves upon the already excellent 960 unit, taking it to new heights and cementing its position not only as a top of the series model but as one of the most popular Roomba units ever.
- It has the same set of features as the Roomba 960 with a little extra bang
- In addition, it’s equipped with AeroForce Cleaning System with Carpet Boost, specifically for cleaning carpets and rugs
- The run time is up to 120 minutes
- It has about 10 times greater suction power than the 600 and 700 series
- It can keep track of its location and clean specific rooms
- It resumes automatically after it’s fully charged
- It can fail to reach the charging dock on some occasions
iRobot Roomba 960 Robot Vacuum- Wi-Fi Connected Mapping, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors
The Roomba 960 is an incredible improvement from the classic 600 series in both power and performance. Even though the price increased significantly, the awesome features and better construction quality absolutely justify the jump.
- It has 5 times the suction power of Roomba 600 series
- iAdapt 2.0 navigation system for mapping surroundings while cleaning, with vSLAM technology
- It has signature iRobot 3-stage cleaning system
- Dual multi-surface rubber brushes
- High-efficiency filter
- Compatible with iRobot Home app and Amazon Alexa
- There’s a noticeable improvement in indoor air quality, as this vacuum captures dust and allergens as small as 10 microns
- The Clean Map report on the app is really useful as it provides a complete breakdown of the cleaned areas
- It has an excellent run time, which ensures it doesn’t have to stop to recharge midway
- Unfortunately, the latest firmware update has disrupted the app although it will surely be fixed soon
iRobot Roomba 890 Robot Vacuum- Wi-Fi Connected, Works with Alexa, Ideal for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors
The Roomba 890 has a similar set of features to the Roomba 960, except for the upgraded navigation system available with the 960. It’s versatile, powerful and nicely priced as well, making it a great choice if you don’t mind the simpler navigation tech.
- Power-Lifting Suction for extra suction power
- It has 3-Stage Cleaning System
- Dual multi-surface rubber brushes
- Dirt Detect sensors to identify high dirt concentration
- Compatible with iRobot Home app, as well as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- It follows a random path while cleaning, but over time it covers the entire room
- What I particularly like is how effectively it identifies the most dirty areas and cleans them
- It does a equally good job of cleaning carpeted floors and hard floors
- Depending on how much dirt, dust and pet hair accumulates in your house, you might have to empty the dust cup frequently
iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum-Wi-Fi Connectivity, Works with Alexa, Good for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors, Self-Charging
The 690 is similar to the Roomba 675, with 1 major difference that makes it pop, as evidenced by being one of the most popular units iRobot has ever created. That difference is the ability for you to create virtual walls that the Roomba robot vacuum will not cross – this is incredibly helpful for many reasons, such as for avoiding your pet’s food bowl, fragile decoration and more.
- Overall, it has the same set of features as the 675 model:
- 3 stage cleaning system
- Auto-adjust cleaning head
- Dirt detection sensors
- Phone app controls
- Voice controls with Alexa or the Google Assistant
- In addition, it has a Dual-Mode Virtual Wall barrier that provides more control during cleaning sessions
- This is a pet-friendly robot vacuum. Not only will it take care of all the pet hair, it will also deal with the dirt and grime your pet brings home
- The Roomba 690 has no problems transitioning from one type of flooring (hard floors) to another type (carpets)
- It takes care of the really sticky dirt and grime that other robot vacuums fail to
- It cleans randomly and not in a pattern, which results in some areas of the house never getting attention, unless you manually take it there
- It doesn’t clean dark colored (especially black) carpets and rugs as well as the light colored ones
iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum-Wi-Fi Connectivity, Works with Alexa, Good for Pet Hair, Carpets, Hard Floors, Self-Charging
iRobot Roomba is a big name in the robot vacuum industry. This iRobot review is a comprehensive look at the 675 model which is very affordable and in our view one of the best entry-level units on the market.
- The Roomba 675 has a 3-Stage Cleaning System
- It has dual multi-surface brushes
- An auto-adjust cleaning head
- Dirt detect sensors to identify high concentration of dirt in a room
- Navigation sensors
- It can be controlled and operated via the iRobot Home app
- It’s compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. So, you can control it via voice commands
- Edge-sweeping brush for cleaning corners and edges of walls
- The cleaning system is excellent as it first loosens dirt, debris and hair on the floor or on a carpet, then lifts it and finally suctions it in
- I love how well it cleans the carpets in my house
- It easily slips unders low lying furniture and cleans all hidden dirt and dust
- It takes a lot of time to clean, which means the 90 minutes run sometimes isn’t enough
- Also, it gets stuck easily, so you have to practically babysit it through the cleaning session
Older iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum Reviews
These are older models that iRobot doesn’t support anymore even though a lot of people still use and enjoy. You can still buy them online and if you’re looking for the most affordable options possible, they might just be the right answer.
The Roomba 780 isn’t as popular as the 690 or the newer 900 series as it didn’t really make a huge jump in performance to justify its price. Even then, it’s a great robot all-around that still has plenty of fantastic features to make it a solid choice if you find it at a discount. Let’s take a look.
- Good edge cleaning
- HEPA filter
- Great navigation tech
- Scheduling options
- 90 minutes run time
- 800 Pa suction power
- Great construction quality
- Smart navigation system
- Advanced features for the series
- Small dirt bin
- No firmware updates available
- Still fairly expensive even today
iRobot Roomba 671 Robot Vacuum with Wi-Fi Connectivity, Works with Alexa, Good for Pet Hair, Carpets, and Hard Floors
- It has the same set of features that the other 600 series robot vacuums have, including compatibility with the iRobot Home app and with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- The Roomba 671 has a slightly higher run time (up to 90 minutes) than some of the others in this series
- There are some weird corners and hard to reach pockets in my house and the edge-sweeping brush has been quite effective in cleaning those areas
- This vacuum does an excellent job of removing debris off carpets
- It gets stuck while transitioning from hard floor to carpet
- It also gets stuck on furniture legs, especially if it’s dark colored
Iconic. The 650 is responsible for kicking off a huge wave of new iRobot Roomba clients due to its excellent balance of price and quality. It opened the doors for everyone to own a helpful Roomba and still to this day is one of the best-selling units of all time.
Even though it’s not supported anymore, it deserves praise for what it accomplished and it’s still a solid robot, even for its age.
- iAdapt Navigation
- 3 Stage Cleaning System
- Scheduling 7x per week
- Automatic recharge
- 60 Minutes of Runtime
- Great performance for the price
- Easy to use
- No mapping
- No virtual walls
- Outdated vacuum power
- Outdated construction quality
The Roomba 600 series of robot vacuums are pretty much similar to each other in concept and design, with a few differentiating factors that justify the price differences. Let’s take a look at the basic 614 model.
- It doesn’t have the option to schedule cleaning sessions via the iRobot Home app and compatibility with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. Other than that it has the same features as the Roomba 675 and Roomba 690
- I love how efficiently the Roomba 614 cleans debris off both hard floors and carpets. It’s because of the auto-adjust cleaning head that ensures the multi-surface brushes remain in close contact with the surface it’s cleaning
- It’s also very good at cleaning corners and wall edges
- You won’t have to worry about pet hair anymore
- This robot vacuum is taller than the other Roombas, which means it can’t slip under low-lying furniture
- The dust cup or dustbin needs to emptied during the cleaning session as it fills up quickly
Rocketing into popularity in early 2004, the Roomba line has constantly evolved and improved ever since, selling millions of units and turning the long, arduous task of floor cleaning into an effortless one, hence their popularity.
With millions of fans worldwide and constantly striving for improvement, iRobot’s Roomba robot vacuum line has not only redefined how we clean our homes but it will continue to do so in the future. With a strong focus on quality, cutting-edge features, unbeatable performance and stunning design, it’s easy to see why they’re the best-selling robot vacuums of all time.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about the iRobot brand and their famous Roomba line as well as taking a look at what we consider to be their very best models – thanks as always for reading and have a great one!